Nick W. Areshenkoff was born in Pelly, Saskatchewan on November 6, 1930 to William and Kathleen (Reibin) Areshenkoff. At the age of 15, in 1945, his family moved to Grand Forks, B.C., where he attended school and attained a Grade 10 education. In 1951, he began working construction at Columbia Cellulose Co. Ltd. power house in the Prince Rupert area and later at Waneta Dam near Trail. After a couple of years he chose to return to Grand Forks and began working at his dad’s sawmill in the Snowball Creek area up the North Fork and for a brief time at Bill’s Billiards, the poolhall owned by his dad. Soon his eye settled on a beautiful young girl named Elizabeth Pankoff. He was smitten and after a courtship they married in 1955. They were blessed with the birth of their daughter Linda, in the same year, followed by their sons Ron, in 1957 and Barry, in 1960. Up until this time, they lived in an apartment above Bill’s Billiards and Anne’s Grill Café. Around this time he took over the log hauling business from his dad and shortly after began building a house for his growing family. They moved to their new neighborhood on the hospital street in 1961 and in 1964 welcomed their third son, Danny to the family. Life was very good for many years – the best of neighbors, lots of kids to play together with and many activities to share with all the families. It was here that Nick began his community involvement over the next many years; Minor Hockey; the Border Bruins, City Council, Grand Forks Credit Union, Chamber of Commerce, Regional District, Hardy View Lodge, Boundary Hospital Board, Inaugural Int’l Baseball Committee and Selkirk College Foundation. In 1971 their loving son, Danny, passed away at six years of age which left a deep and lasting scar on the family. In September 1977, when Nick was returning from a hockey meeting in the East Kootenay he sustained injuries from an accident at the viewpoint at Christina Lake, which left him temporarily unable to work. As a result, son Barry took over driving the logging truck. After his recovery, Nick filled in driving for others, followed by work on construction of Parta Industries and then eventually retiring. Nick was an avid reader, particularly concerning history, politics and culture. He had a knack for telling a story and loved to talk about the good old days. Saskatchewan remained dear to his heart and he took every opportunity to reminisce. Growing up, Dad was a tough disciplinarian. He had a passionate personality, a bark that was worse than his bite and a forgiving nature. He was charismatic, outgoing and social. He looked forward to getting up at 6 or 7 in the morning to meet his fellow A&W buddies for coffee, sometimes returning in the afternoon for a second round. As well, his frequent drop-in visits to The Farm brightened his day, especially when he was treated to the fabulous meals prepared by his nieces. Over the 33 or so years of operating a health store with Elizabeth, Nick enjoyed helping customers and spent a lot of time researching information on their behalf. He was more than happy to provide encouragement and share his knowledge. The friendships made during the years involved with the Border Bruins and through son Ron’s hockey career, remained deeply important to Nick. Anywhere he travelled, he would invariably run into someone from the hockey community and the stories would begin. The family always billeted players and took the boys in as their own. He maintained many of these friendships to the end. Nick held the role of family patriarch to immediate and extended family alike who depended on him for help and advice on various matters. With his daughter, Linda, and grandson, Jared, beside him he passed away very unexpectedly the morning of June 2, 2014 at the Boundary Hospital. His family meant the world to him and we are devastated by his sudden passing and the immense void this leaves in our lives. Nick was predeceased by his son Danny in 1971, father William in 1983, mother Kathleen in 1985 and his beloved wife Elizabeth in 2012, a loss he still felt profoundly. He also endured the loss of many other relatives and extended family members. Left to mourn his loss are his children Linda (son Jared); Ron and Becky (Corson, Landyce); Barry and Charleen (Ashley, Nilan, Alicia); six great-grandchildren, sisters Paulette (Ralph) Tedesco; Mable Blakely; brother Bill (Marge); his Uncle Walter Reibin; a nephew; numerous nieces and cousins. May God accept his soul into His Heavenly Kingdom and may he rest in peace. Funeral services were held on Friday, June 6th at the USCC Community Centre in Grand Forks, following by internment at the USCC Sion Cemetery. Grand Forks Funeral Home had care of arrangements. The family is greatly appreciative to everyone who telephoned, sent cards and flowers, visited the home, brought food and attended the service, especially those who traveled over distance. Your heartfelt support was such a comfort to us. Thank you to Deborah Baker and staff at Grand Forks Funeral Home; J.J. Verigin and family, Paul (Jerry) Seminoff for officiating the service, the singers, cooks and grave diggers. The family is also grateful to the doctors and the emergency team at Boundary Hospital for their tireless effort and compassionate support. Donation to ISKRA Publications or to the Grand Forks Border Bruins would be appreciated.

I’d like the memory of me

To be a happy one.

I’d like to leave an afterglow

of smiles

When life is done.

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.