UPDATED: Aggravated assault has Grand Forks resident in coma

A fight broke out during a party on May 13 and resulted with one Grand Forks resident at Kelowna General in a coma and another in custody.

A Grand Forks resident was airlifted to Kelowna General Hospital with severe head injuries sustained after a fight on May 13.

The victim, who’s name has not been released, was struck with a glass liquor bottle and according to an RCMP media release, was placed in a medically-induced coma.

The victim may undergo extensive reconstructive plastic surgery to his face, and will possibly lose the use of his right eye.

Police attended a local party spot known as Moto (east of Grand Forks) on Sunday around 3 a.m. after receiving a complaint about a suspicious male with a knife.

There was a bush party occurring with a group of teenagers and several others in their early 20s when the fight broke out.

Several altercations were also reported along with the assault.

“The fight got out of hand and an individual was struck in the face with the broken bottle,” stated Grand Forks RCMP Staff Sgt. Jim Harrison.

The media release noted that alcohol is believed to be a contributing factor, though the investigation is ongoing.

Timothy Lafreniere, 21, of Grand Forks has been charged with  aggravated assault and was scheduled to appear before a judge on May 15.

Grand Forks RCMP wish to remind the public that underage and public consumption of alcohol is against the law.

“Police will be clamping down on bush parties and charges will be laid for infractions against the liquor act,” RCMP said. “Parents are advised to be aware of what their children are doing and the inherent dangers of allowing them to attend outdoor parties where there is no supervision and alcohol is present.”

We are experiencing technical difficulties with our commenting platform and hope to be up and running again soon. In the meantime, you can still send us your thoughts on Facebook or Twitter, or submit a letter to the editor.