Bruce McArthur is shown in a Facebook photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Facebook

UPDATE: Toronto police recover remains of six people in alleged serial killer probe

More charges are expected against McArthur, who is currently charged with first-degree murder

An alleged serial killer accused of murdering five men is expected to face more charges after Toronto police announced the discovery of more human remains on Thursday.

Homicide Det. Sgt. Hank Idsinga said that the remains of six individuals have now been recovered from a residential property where Bruce McArthur, a 66-year-old self-employed landscaper, had worked.

“I do anticipate more charges,” Idsinga said outside 53 Mallory Crescent, where the remains had been discovered in several planters. “I don’t have a timetable for that, I don’t have a number for that, but I would expect more charges will eventually be laid.”

Idsinga said police have identified at least one set of remains as belonging to Andrew Kinsman, one of the men McArthur is accused of murdering, but said investigators are still working to determine who the other alleged victims are.

McArthur was charged on Jan. 18 with 49-year-old Kinsman’s death, as well as the presumed death of 44-year-old Selim Esen. Both men went missing from Toronto’s gay village in 2017.

Late last month, police laid three more first-degree murder charges against McArthur related to the disappearances of Majeed Kayhan, 58, and Soroush Mahmudi, 50, as well as the death of Dean Lisowick, either 43 or 44, who had never been reported missing.

At that time, police had said skeletal remains belonging to three unidentified individuals had been discovered in planters in the backyard of the Mallory Crescent home. After working on the property for a week and a half, Idsinga said the number of remains recovered had doubled.

An extensive excavation of the home’s back yard under the guidance of a forensic anthropologist was expected to get underway later on Thursday. Idsinga said police had been thawing the frozen ground for a week to expedite the dig, adding they have already identified some areas of particular interest.

Idsinga said the investigation, which he previously described as unprecedented in scope, is proceeding on multiple fronts.

Once police are finished with the evidence so far, Idsinga said they will re-examine “literally hundreds” of missing persons cases in search of potential links to McArthur.

He also said police were taking a detailed look at McArthur’s extensive digital presence.

“We’re going through computers, we’re going through cellphones, we’re going through online applications and different apps,” he said. “We’ve prepared warrants on different providers, so that’s a very big part of this investigation.”

Police previously announced that they were searching at least 30 properties connected to McArthur. Idsinga said investigators were also sifting through the contents of at least 15 planters recovered from multiple properties, at least some of which had contained human remains.

Michelle McQuigge and Peter Goffin, The Canadian Press

Just Posted

Castlegar bridge designed by architect of collapsed Italian bridge

Riccardo Morandi designed the Kinnaird Bridge, which is part of Highway 3.

UPDATE: Fire forces closures and delays on Highway 3 at Kootenay Pass

Motorists should detour using Kootenay Lake ferry

Evacuation alert issued for City of Kimberley

Three hours after an evacuation order was issued for the St. Mary Valley, an evacuation alert was issued for the nearby community of Kimberley.

B.C. declares state of emergency as more than 560 wildfires rage

This is only the fourth state of emergency ever issued during a fire season

Louise Baxter found after 72 hour search

Cranbrook hiker had been missing since Sunday, August 12, near Jumbo Pass.

PHOTOS: B.C. city wakes up to darkness under wildfire smoke

The rest of the province also dealing with thick haze as smoky skies continue

Safeway union urges prejection of mediator recommendations

Says mediator asks for too many concessions

Fire chases B.C. crews out of their own camp

Crews in Burns Lake had to leave after a wildfire reportedly overtook their sleeping quarters

To address peacock problem, B.C. city moves ahead on trapping plan

Surrey’s new bylaw focuses on ensuring people no longer feed the birds, ahead of relocation

Hospitals to see ‘delays’ in care after losing Saudi students, health group says

About 1,000 Saudi residents called back to kingdom after suspending diplomatic relations with Canada

Bernier diatribe against ‘extreme multiculturalism’ boosts Liberal coffers

Party spokesperson Braeden Caley says online donations doubled, social media engagement quadrupled

‘Disjointed’ system hinders British Columbia First Nations in wildfire fight

More than 550 wildfires were burning in B.C. and crews were bracing for wind and dry lightning

Federal government announces over $115 million to Royal Canadian Navy

Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan was at Victoria’s CFB Esquimalt to announce missile system upgrades

RCMP nab prolific car thief after month-long, B.C.-wide search

A province-wide warrant was issued for Brian Robert Stephan in June for a litany of offences

Most Read