Staying safe with heat this winter

Tips from Grand Forks Fire/Rescue on how to minimize your risk.

It’s not too early to begin preparing for the heating season, and Grand Forks Fire/Rescue is offering some tips to keep families safe.

Deputy Fire Chief for Grand Forks Fire/Rescue Rich Piche, who handles fire prevention and public safety, said the fire department responded to a chimney fire in early November that was caused by creosote build up.

“Inspection and cleaning by a qualified professional can prevent this from happening, Piche said. “This should be done every two to three month if that is your only heat source.”

Piche highlights these 10 tips from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to stay safe this winter. Families should check them off as they have been completed:

• Our furnace has been inspected and serviced by a qualified professional during the last 12 months. (A furnace should be serviced at least once a year.)

• Our chimneys and vents have been cleaned and inspected by a qualified professional.

• I have checked for creosote built-up. (Not cleaning your chimney is the leading cause of chimney fires from built up creosote. This service needs to be done at least once a year.)

• Our wood for our fireplace or wood stove is dry, seasoned wood.

• Our fireplace screen is metal or heat-tempered glass, in good condition and secure in its position in front of the fireplace.

• We have a covered metal container ready to use to dispose cooled ashes. (Should be kept at least 10 feet from the home and any nearby buildings.)

• Our children know to stay at least 3 feet away from the fireplace, wood/pellet stove, oil stove or other space heaters.

• Our portable space heaters have an automatic shut-off.

• Our portable space heaters will be plugged directly into an outlet (not an extension cord) and placed at least three feet from anything that can burn; like bedding, paper, walls, and even people. (Place notes throughout your home to remind you to turn off portable heaters when you leave a room or go to bed.)

• We have tested our smoke alarms and made sure they are working. (You need smoke alarms on every level of the home, inside each sleeping room and outside each separate sleeping area. For the best protection, the smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound.)

• We have tested our carbon monoxide alarms and made sure they are working. (Carbon monoxide alarms should be located outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home.)

Just Posted

GFI gets underway in Grand Forks

Wednesday’s events feature a home run derby

Council levels zoning infraction at warming centre

Coun. Zielinski: ‘If we don’t uphold our own laws, we’re on a very slippery slope going forward’

Revitalization plan energizes downtown businesses

‘A lot of it is just simple stuff that I think people needed to hear from a different perspective’

Art in disaster: How Grand Forks is using creativity to process the flood’s impact

‘It was a sunny day, and so even though it was horrific and devastating, it was beautiful’

GFI legends, past and present

Before the first pitch flies, Gerry Foster remarks on the storied history of the tournament.

VIDEO: Stop-motion artist recreates Kawhi Leonard’s famous buzzer-beater

It took Jared Jacobs about 40 hours to make the video, on top of the research

Rock slide in B.C. river may hinder salmon passage

DFO says it is aware that the slide occurred in a narrow portion of the Fraser River

Four-hour tarmac delay violates charter rights of Canadians with a disability: lawsuit

Bob Brown says new rules reduce the distance he can travel by air without putting his health at risk

Fate of accused in Canadian couple’s 1987 killings in jury’s hands

William Talbott’s lawyer says DNA doesn’t prove murder

Child killed after being hit in driveway on Vancouver Island

The driver of the vehicle remained at the crash scene and is fully cooperating

Eating sandwiches, putting on makeup behind the wheel could land you a fine

RCMP say if you cause an accident while eating you could be penalized

Cat badly hurt in animal trap was likely stuck for days, B.C. owner says

Blu, a three-year-old house cat, suffered severe damage to his hind leg after being stuck in trap for days

40 cats surrendered in apparent hoarding at B.C. home

Officers found the cats living among piles of garbage and feces, suffering from fleas

Vancouver Aquarium drops cetacean ban lawsuit in new lease agreement

Ocean Wise CEO Lasse Gustavsson called the updated lease an exciting new chapter for the aquarium

Most Read