Seniors assaulted, tied up in home invasion on Vancouver Island

Sawmill owner offers $5,000 for information leading to arrest as Nanaimo RCMP search for suspects

Nanaimo RCMP are searching for suspects following a violent home invasion in which two seniors were assaulted and tied up.

According to police, the incident happened at about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 27, when two seniors who live on Garner Crescent, were assaulted then tied up as three unknown men ransacked their home.

The couple, who are in their 70s, told police they were awakened by the three men in their house. One of the suspects struck the man on the forehead with a blunt object, knocking him to the ground.

The suspects tied the couple up and then went through the house and took various bank and credit cards, personal effects and jewelry and then drove off in the couple’s 2008 Lexus IS250, bearing B.C. licence plate 044TCV.

RELATED: Arrest made in Nanaimo connected to violent Sicamous home invasion

B.C. Ambulance paramedics were called and transported the male victim to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital for treatment of a laceration. His wife was uninjured, but traumatized by the ordeal.

“Based on interviews with the victims and certain things said by the suspects, we believe the suspects mistakenly entered the wrong home,” said Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman, in a press release.

Mike Gogo, owner of Gogo’s Cedar Products sawmill and a friend of the victims, has put up a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrests of the suspects.

“All I know is somebody broke into the house at three o’clock in the morning and attacked the guy in bed, stole a ton of stuff,” Gogo said. “I know this guy really well, but it doesn’t matter that I know him. It’s just that anybody in Nanaimo, you don’t need that around here, so I’m putting up a $5,000 reward for information leading to [an arrest] or $6,000 if they deliver the guy to the mill … we’re going to pull the second act of Deliverance on him. The point is that we just don’t need anybody being struck over the head in their bedroom at three o’clock in the morning by three bloody idiots.”

O’Brien said private citizens are within their rights to post rewards, but police don’t advise people take direct action against suspects to collect them.

“The public is more than welcome to offer rewards,” O’Brien said. “We certainly are not involved and we advocate that if the public has information they contact Crime Stoppers, which will pay up to $2,000.”

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Nanaimo RCMP at 250-754-2345 and quote file No. 2018-43539. To remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at www.nanaimocrimestoppers.com or call 1-800-222-8477.



photos@nanaimobulletin.com
Like us on
Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Opinion: The Second Street development might be a problem – but it’s not council’s problem

Reporter Kate Saylors writes about the common misconception surrounding a BC Housing development.

What’s happening for Family Day in the Boundary

Activities in and around Grand Forks offer something for everyone.

Call a foul on cancer with the Pink Whistle Campaign

Local basketball referees are raising money for cancer research

Petition on Second Street project presented to council

Over 1,000 signatures were gathered, but staff say council can’t do much about the project.

Have an escape plan, meeting place in event of fire

Grand Forks Fire/Rescue offers tips to keep your family prepared.

‘Just like Iron Man’: Calgary surgeon undergoes experimental spinal surgery

Dr. Richi Gill was in a freak accident on a boogie board during a family vacation in Hawaii

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh calls for public inquiry over SNC-Lavalin questions

Vancouver member of Parliament Jody Wilson-Raybould resigned from cabinet last week

Canadian airlines waiting for guidance from Ottawa over X gender option

Major U.S. airlines said they will change their process so passengers can identify themselves along non-binary lines

Moose Hide campaign takes message to Canadian schools

Campaign launches new K-12 education platform

‘Violent’ B.C. man wanted on Canada-wide warrant

Prince George man with ties to Vernon sought by police

Homicide police investigate assault turned deadly in Surrey

60-year-old man died at hospital after assault

Trudeau’s principal secretary, Gerald Butts, resigns amid SNC-Lavalin furor

Butts categorically denies the accusation that he or anyone else in the PMO improperly pressured former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould

Skier injured in avalanche; snowmobiler stranded near Fernie

Fernie Search and Rescue performs two backcountry rescues in 24 hours

Deported B.C. man who came to Canada as a baby granted chance at return

Len Van Heest was deported to the Netherlands in 2017

Most Read