Christina Lake Fire Lieut. Sheldon Weigel helped put out Tuesday’s house fire in Grand Forks. (Laurie Tritschler/Grand Forks Gazette)

Christina Lake Fire Lieut. Sheldon Weigel helped put out Tuesday’s house fire in Grand Forks. (Laurie Tritschler/Grand Forks Gazette)

UPDATE—Coalshute Rd. blaze ruled an electrical fire

Grand Forks Fire and Rescue completed their investigation Wednesday, Oct. 7

Four pets are dead after a tragic electrical fire at a family home on Coalshute Rd., investigators determined Wednesday, Oct. 7.

The homeowners and their two school-aged children were not inside when a neighbour reported the fire to Grand Forks’ Fire and Rescue shortly before 3 p.m. Tuesday.

READ MORE: Christina Lake firefighters put out Labour Day morning fire

The fire started in the basement, where a heat lamp overhanging a pet turtle’s terrarium likely fell onto a wooden table, Deputy Fire Chief Rich Piché told The Gazette.

Flames spread to a nearby wall, reaching the ceiling as Piché joined Grand Forks’ fire crews on-scene.

From the left, Grand Forks Fire Chief George Seigler and Deputy Chiefs Stepahne Dionne and Rich Piché review photographs of Tuesday’s house fire on Coalshute Rd. (Laurie Tritschler/Grand Forks Gazette)

From the left, Grand Forks Fire Chief George Seigler and Deputy Chiefs Stepahne Dionne and Rich Piché review photographs of Tuesday’s house fire on Coalshute Rd. (Laurie Tritschler/Grand Forks Gazette)

Piché then called for backup from Christina Lake Fire and Rescue, whose crews helped to put out the fire.

The family is receiving support from the Canadian Red Cross, he said.

They are grieving the loss of two dogs, a cat and their pet turtle after the animals tragically succumbed to smoke inhalation inside the home.

The family’s second cat is still believed to be in the area.

No firefighters were hurt in Tuesday’s fire.


@ltritsch1
laurie.tritschler@grandforksgazette.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

fireGrand ForksHouse firePets