A campfire ban in the Southeast Fire Centre will be lifted effective Friday, Sept. 14 at noon.

Campfire ban lifted across Kootenays

Campfires will be permitted, but open burning restrictions still apply

A campfire ban in the Southeast Fire Centre will be lifted effective Friday, Sept. 14, at noon, according to fire officials.

The campfire ban, which has been in place across the Kootenays since July, is no longer required due to decreased wildfire risks.

READ: Campfire bans issued around B.C.

While campfires are permitted, the Southeast Fire Centre also notes that Category 2 fires are only allowed in the Columbia Fire Zone only.

Category 3 fires remain prohibited across the region, which include activities such as stubble or grass burning, the use of air curtain burners, sky lanterns, fireworks and burn barrels or cages.

“The BC Wildfire Service thanks the public for its continued support, vigilance and co-operation during this challenging fire season,” reads a press release from the Southeast Fire Centre.

READ: 2018 now B.C.’s worst wildfire season on record

The 2018 wildfire season is the worst on record, having burned over a million hectares by the end of August, which followed the second worst fire season that had been set last year.

Just Posted

Castlegar’s Waterline property purchased; owners to protect it for rock climbers

New owners plan to subdivide, sell bluffs to recreational climbing group

Grand Forks daycare now part of universal childcare program

The spaces will now cost a maximum of $200 per month.

Josie Hotel will be ready on opening day, says management

West Kootenay’s first ski-in, ski-out boutique hotel to open this month

Letter: City hall flag needs to be replaced

Legion member Sandra Doody said the City Hall flag is embarassing.

Children’s books needed for Christmas hampers

Considering donating some books this Christmas.

Fashion Fridays: 5 coats you need this winter!

Kim XO, lets you know the best online shopping tips during Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network

B.C. to fund gender-affirming surgeries for transgender people

Roughly 100 people in B.C. travel each year out of province for lower surgeries

U.S. mayor and dying dog’s roadtrip to B.C. goes viral

First vacation in three years came a month after blood cancer diagnosis

Federal fall update expected to offer more support for struggling news industry

Ottawa committed $50 million over five years for local journalism in ‘underserved communities’ last budget

UK’s May appeals to public on Brexit, braces for more blows

British Prime Minister Theresa May answered questions from callers on a radio phone-in, the day after she vowed to stay in office

VIDEO: Stan Lee leaves posthumous message for his fans

Marvel Comics’ co-creator died on Monday at the age of 95

Woman searching for father last seen in Nelson in 1999

Johnson’s daughter, Chandra Machin, is searching for her father

$136M in transit funding coming to B.C.

The announcement was made at the BC Transit yard in Langford on Friday morning

Ottawa apologizes to Japanese family in B.C. after chopping historic cherry trees

Plaque installed in Prince Rupert to honour the memory of Shotaro Shimizu

Most Read