by Della Mallette
A grass fire could have easily grown to catastrophic proportions given the tinder dry conditions, but thanks to the fast response of Grand Forks Fire Rescue, it was kept to half an acre in size.
The department was called out to a fire on Jasper Ave. Thursday at about 3 p.m., said Fire Chief Dale Heriot. Three fire engines and 15 firefighters attended the scene.
Flames consumed about a half acre of grass and thicket. “The fire was caused by a resident burning waste materials in a burn barrel,” Heriot confirmed. “The barrel was left unattended and the fire was the result. A neighbour notified the resident of the fire. It took the fire department about an hour to fully extinguish the fire.”
The grass and forest fuels are currently extremely dry and the Boundary has been at a high to extreme fire rating for a week or more, the chief warned.
“As a reminder, there is an open burning ban in effect for the area. This includes burn piles, burn barrels, grass burning, fireworks, or any burning other than campfires.
“Also a reminder that there is no open burning of any kind, including campfires within the city limits 12 months a year. If you are working in your yard or enjoying the back country please be extremely careful at all times,” the chief added.