1906: Over 50 interested spectators jammed the city hall as the council battled over the controversial liquor bylaw. The bylaw fixed saloon license fees at $1,000.
1911: The Grand Forks Fruit and Nursery Co. installed an irrigation system at the foot of Hardy Mountain to use the water from Cedar Lake, a 200 acre body of water at 3,200 feet.
1916: Granby Company’s report for the six months ending in December showed a net profit of $1,513,000 or $8 per share.
1921: The assessment of the Granby property was reduced to $17,500 from $46,000 due to a closure. Judge Brown, C.A.S. Atwood and A.E. Hales were elected as a Board of Trustees responsible for acquisition of a building as a recreation hall for young men and women.
1926: Greenwood won the hockey championship by default. The Grand Forks team was unable to make the trip to Greenwood as the special train service was called off.
1931: Joe Szcezsnuk of Midway was fined by Magistrate Charles Nichols for having a still in his possession.
1936: A second fire in three months roared through Greenwood’s business section causing some $15,000 damage and destroying six businesses.
1941: Grand Forks high school students scored another successful “Joy Night” celebration at the Davis Hall. Leo Mills was the master of ceremonies.
1946: Art Topp, recently discharged from the RCAF, has opened a taxi service in Grand Forks.
1951: Pete Oleynk has purchased the Bowlerdrome Alleys from L. Dupas and the Royal Hotel from Emma Phillips.
1956: The government has set aside 416 acres on the east side of Christina Lake for a public parkland.
1961: Classes begin in the new school building erected between the two older schools on the elementary grounds.
1966: Lois Haggen, MLA for Grand Forks – Greenwood, entered the legislature to find a vase of flowers on her desk and a Valentine’s card from the premier. Mrs. Haggen is the only female member of the legislature.
1971: Sandy Marshall, Elvera Traynor, Fern Smith and Effie Venables were winners of the “B” event in the Ladies Open Bonspiel held over the weekend.
1976: Building permits were issued this week to Wan-Ken Development of Rutland for some $200,000 worth of residential construction representing several new homes to be built.
1981: City construction crews went back to work on the new city hall project after council unanimously gave fourth and final reading to a bylaw appropriating $150,000 from the Slag Sales Reserve Fund to complete the work.
1991: The number of spousal assaults reported to the Grand Forks RCMP detachment in 1990 showed a large increase over 1989. The 1990 number of 33 is almost triple the previous year’s figure of 12, and so far this year, RCMP officers have responded to four such calls.
1996: A split Grand Forks city council voted Monday to grant the Boundary Museum $20,000 instead of the $15,000 originally allotted. Without the extra funds the museum would have to reduce its hours, making it ineligible for other grants.
2001: Two Grand Forks residents have been charged after allegedly attempting to smuggle about 30 pounds of marijuana into the United States.
2006: Monday night’s meeting of Grand Forks City Council marked the return of a television camera to the bi-weekly proceedings.