THE WAY IT WAS JUNE 19: Lightning strikes and damages in Grand Forks area in 1908

An electrical storm livened up things considerably at Riverside Nurseries.

1908

An electrical storm livened up things considerably at Riverside Nurseries when lightning struck a telephone line, ran along it for some 300 yards to the house of Chas. Weiland, smashed the telephone, scattered dishes, burnt holes in a pile of clothes, then followed the wire out the house.

1913

The Grand Forks Board of Trade made the decision to affiliate with the Associate Boards of Trade of Southern British Columbia.

1918

Word was received in the city that Sgt. Wm. Euerby had been admitted to hospital in France suffering from a compound fracture of the leg.

1923

The concentrating mill of the Jewel mine at Long Lake was sold to Robert Forshaw of Greenwood, who planned to dismantle it. The Jewel was one of the early mining propositions in the   Boundary District and the first to have a compressor plant.

1928

A branch of the Canadian Red Cross was organized locally at a meeting held in city council chambers that had as speaker, organizing secretary J.R. Seymour of Vancouver.

1933

Coach James Dunn recommended to the election committee of the Grand Forks Track Club that Ernie Heaven, Bo Allen and Kitchener Gowans represent the city at the Junior Olympics in       Vancouver.

1938

Honouring J.A. Hutton on the 25th anniversary of becoming clerk and treasurer of the City of Grand Forks were council members and prominent local citizens who presented him with a gold watch.

1943

Peter S. Palek, local agent for Great Northern, received instructions to close the office here permanently within the week and to proceed to his new post at the Nelson office.

1948

Chas Ferraro of Fife, well-known   district resident, died of a heart attack at the age of 59.

1953

Lee Mitchell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Mitchell, was crowned May Queen at the 28th annual May Day      celebrations.

1958

High school graduates receiving awards at the graduation ceremony were Frank Makaeff, $100 school board scholarship; Ann Petko, Best Citizen Award; and Tom Siska, RCMP scholarship award and $100 from the Bursary Society.

1963

The new golf course for the Christina Lake Golf and Country Club was opened for use by district golfers.

1968

Some 35 writers and editors and about six tour personnel from the Department of Travel and Industry of B.C. toured the Boundary area.

1973

Rev. Alan Jackson, who spent several years here as joint pastor of Holy Trinity Anglican and St. John’s United Church, has been appointed incumbent for the parish of Kootenay Lake.

1978

Grand Forks and District Society for the Handicapped, associates and supporters were on hand for the open house and ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new Broadacres adult residence on Carson Road.

1983

More than 50 volunteers and guests of the Grand Forks Stockbreeders dined at the Yale Hotel to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the group.

Among those present was the oldest charter member, George Evans, whose father had the    second oldest brand recorded in the government agent’s file of 1914.

1988

Since starting their work, the new   volunteer rural firefighters have received a large number of nuisance calls on their pagers. In one two-week period, 35 such calls came in to the Big Y Firehall.

1993

Grand Forks residents graduating from SFU are Harold James Hoodikoff, Robert James Leitch, Gerald William Lewis, Carolyn Ann Robinson and Michelle Marie Gregory.

1998

Quebec students who escaped a winter ice storm by coming to Grand Forks, return the favour by inviting more than 40 GFSS students to go to Quebec for a visit in the fall.

2008

Council approved a report at the June 9 council meeting to improve safety on 72nd Avenue with a series of measures, including stop signs, intersection redesigns and reduced speed zones.