Half the business portion of the city lay in ruins following an early morning conflagration that broke out in the old Union Hotel on Riverside Avenue and spread rapidly through an entire block. Damage was estimated at more than a quarter million dollars.
Construction work was begun on the tower for the new post office and customs building, which will have a four-dial clock and bell operated by the clock mechanism, total cost to be $3,500.
The fluorspar property on the North Fork, recently acquired by the Coning Co., was to be known as the Rock Candy group, with Dan Matheson appointed superintendent.
Hon. Dr. King, federal minister of public works, and Hon. Dr. MacLean, minister of education, visited the area en route to an inspection tour of the new Cascade-Rossland highway.
The Highland Lass Co. of Beaverdell made an excellent strike on their claims on Wallace Mountain, exposing a 24-inch vein of high grade ore carrying ruby and native silver.
As a preliminary step to the organization of a local Gyro club, the Grand Forks Service Club was formed with Arthur E. Gilpin as president, Dr. W.D. Smith as vice-president, Basil Flynn as secretary-treasurer and Klaus Scheer as sergeant at arms.
The Boundary area lost another pioneer when Angus Duncan McLennan, 77, died at Rock Creek after living in the Boundary for 40 years.
Under the auspices of the federal government, the Midway airport was being enlarged as an emergency landing field and, when completed, would provide a mile-long east-west runway. 1948
Jim Turner, a young cowhand from Rock Creek, took the title of the bucking horse with saddle championship at the Calgary Stampede.
More than 900 guests gathered at the groom’s home to witness the Doukhobor ceremony in which John J. Verigin took as his bride Laura Relkoff of Brilliant.
John J. Verigin of the USCC, Mayor Archer Davis and Don Manly, president of the board of trade, were the Grand Forks delegates to a special meeting in Castlegar, the purpose of which was to set up a committee to bring about solutions to the Doukhobor problems of the district.
Maida’s Lakeview Motel on Highway 3, a new establishment owned and operated by Angelo and Julia Maida, was opened for travellers stopping off at Christina Lake.
Inland Natural gas was busy digging around Midway and expected to have its system in operation within a month.
Local curling club president Terry Hamagami predicted curling by November after Mayor Sugimoto, Hamagami and others turned sod to kick off the construction on the new $328,000 curling rink.
Thursday was going to be a special day for the Rossi family in Grand Forks. Fifty-one years before, in July 1932, Maria Rossi brought her five children back to Grand Forks for a joyful reunion with her husband, Joe, and their son, Louis.
Dinsmore Creek, the site of mud slides in 1991 and ‘92, once again drove tonnes of earth into the Granby River, turning the normally clear waters brown and taking out a section of Burrell Creek Road in the process.
Greenwood celebrated Founders Day to mark its anniversary and officially designated O’Hairi Park to honour its citizens of Japanese origins.
A home for local skateboarders is in the works; however, they won’t be the only ones benefiting from the park. All youths, whether skateboarders or not, will have a place to go that they can call their very own as council agreed that a youth park would be a necessity for the community. The plan is to create three phases: a skatepark; then a rec area (possibly with picnic tables and children’s activities); and thirdly, a youth drop-in centre.
A wind storm blew across the southern half of the province and caused considerable damage and one fatality in the Brown Creek Road area.