THE WAY IT WAS, JAN. 16: Grand Forks Border Bruins on 20-game win streak in ’93

In 1993, the Grand Forks Border Bruins extended their winning streak to 20 games.


The Grand Forks Hockey Club was organized at a meeting of local enthusiasts, with J.S. Jost elected president, Chas Haverty, secretary-treasurer, and Roy Curran, manager.


F.J. Hart, J.A. Augur and C.R. Drayton arrived from Vancouver to inspect the local Doukhobor property with a view to granting the society a substantial loan.


Dr. G.H. Acres agreed to allow his name to stand for re-election as mayor in the forthcoming civic election.


Farmers of the district met and voted unanimously for the amalgamation of the various existing farm organizations into a single organization, namely the Grand Forks Agricultural Association.


The roof of the curling rink collapsed under the heavy weight of accumulated snow.


The matter of compensation to William B. Glanville by the City of Grand Forks for lands flooded by reason of the Granby dam alterations was to be put before an arbitration board.


Oscar Pennoyer tendered his resignation as manager of the Grand Forks Growers’ Exchange in order to give more time to his ranch interests.


Louis Bosshart, aged 73, pioneer of the Greenwood district, died in the Greenwood hospital. Born in Switzerland, he came to Greenwood as a prospector in the early 1980s.


A fire believed to have been started by a large charge of dynamite, completely gutted the Burns building on New Year’s Eve. The initial explosion, heard by residents throughout the city, occurred at the premises occupied by the Sunshine Valley Co-op.


Sam Talarico, proprietor of the Valley Market since 1931, retired from active participation in the business, having sold his interest to two of his sons, Adolph and Gino.


Council passed a bylaw authorizing the borrowing of $22,500 to complete the $326,000 needed to pay for the newly installed city sewer system.


Public Freightways Ltd. was awarded a long-term contract to transport 1,200 tons of copper concentrate per month from the Phoenix Copper to North Vancouver for shipment to Japan.


John A. Hutton, 91, passed away Dec. 25 at the Boundary Hospital.


Two days before Christmas, Jim Corrigan, for some years associated with the Grand Forks Figure Skating Club, passed away.


The first new citizen of the year arriving at the Boundary Hospital was born Jan. 2 at 5:23 a.m. to Sharon and Dave Marshall. Edan, nine pounds, is the couple’s first child.


Phyllis Lazeroff, who won $5,000 Jan. 5, wasn’t the only lucky lottery winner in Grand Forks this month. Rick Popoff scratched a $1,000 ticket at the downtown Shell last week.


The Grand Forks Border Bruins swept three games last week to extend their current winning streak to 20 straight.


When she picked up her RDKB agenda package, Midway councillor Marguerite Rotvold was surprised to learn there was talk about a province-wide 9-1-1 service. She said her concern was the possible disparity of the cost of the service among different regions.


Grand Forks City Council has approved, in principal, a $1.25-million offer from Westfair Properties for the empty 15-acre lot at Highway 3 and Spraggett Road. Westfair Properties operates nearly 100 Extra Foods, Real Canadian Superstore and Real Canadian Wholesale Club stores in western Canada.


Separate avalanches earlier in the week killed three people, including a Grand Forks man snowmobiling in the Wilderness Creek area. There were also  fatalities suffered in incidences in the Christian Valley and Big White Ski Resort near Kelowna.

According to the Canadian Avalanche Centre, precipitation amounts this winter saw little snow early in the season with cold temperatures that weakened the snow pack.