Hi Grand Folks!
Thanks to all of you who sent me $10,000 – I can assure you that your millions are forthcoming. In the meanwhile, if you wish to occupy your mind with some other things, here are some exciting events to come out to:
• Love pop-up books? Bonnie Chapman will be at the library tomorrow (Nov. 22) from 6:45 to 7:45 p.m. to talk about the history of pop-up books and help you create a pop-up card, with materials provided. Note: due to the fragile nature of the books, this is an adult-only event.
• Want to know what it takes to get published? Yolanda Ridge will be here on Nov. 27 (1 to 2 p.m.) to walk you through all publishing options, from traditional to self-publishing. Learn about query letters, marketing your book and much more.
• Join us for our 12th Annual Festive Storytime on Dec. 6 at 6:30 p.m., for an evening of rhymes, songs, stories and the coolest Christmas band in town. The Columbia Basin Alliance for Literacy (CBAL) will be giving free books to all families. All ages are welcome – Santa will be here too.
In other news, our wonderful Friends of the Library group will be having its annual Christmas Cookie Sale on Dec. 4 at 10 a.m. – they usually sell out quickly, so come early!
We’re up to our ears in new books and putting them out on the shelves as fast as we can, but they keep coming. Some notables include:
• The Twelve by Justin Cronin, the second installment in his critically acclaimed vampire trilogy.
• Blood Red Road by Moira Young, a dystopian tale of a girl’s quest to find her twin brother and winner of the 2012 Costa Children’s book award.
• The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, a fascinating look at how to develop good habits and break bad ones.
• Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer, her first foray into teen fiction, a twist on the traditional teen-romance novel.
• Red Rain by R.L. Stine, after 20 years of writing the Goosebumps series, Stine turns to the adult market with this horror story.
• Maximum Ride series by James Patterson, a massively popular young adult sci-fi series by the always bestselling Patterson.
See you at the library!
– Avi Silberstein is library director at the Grand Forks and District Public Library