Hi Grand Folks!
I have good news, we’ve added some new DVDs to our collection!
A very generous patron donated some money, and we were able to purchase a bunch of movies. Which brings me to my next point. If any of you have any DVDs lying around that you’d want to share with others, please consider donating them to the library.
And here’s the latest on what’s going on at the library this month:
• Today (Dec. 6), we will be having our Festive Family Storytime at 6:30 p.m. All ages welcome! We’ll sing songs, tell stories, and even have a visit from Santa himself – there will also be a free book for every family to take home (courtesy of CBAL).
• Also, today at 12 p.m. we will be hosting a teleconference on sleep issues for children and youth. Come to the library to listen to a panel of experts discuss strategies you can use to improve sleeping patterns – you’ll also have an opportunity to ask any questions you might have. Thanks to – get ready for some acronyms here – BEYAC (Boundary Early Years Advisory Committee), BFISS (Boundary Family and Individual Services Society), BCCRR (Boundary Child Care Resource and Referral) and CBAL (Columbia Basin Alliance for Literacy) for their support.
• Just a reminder that there will be no book club in December – we’ve moved A Fatal Grace to June, and January’s book will be arriving later this month.
• Fabulous Friday will be happening on Dec. 14 from 1 to 3 p.m. Come to the library for a family fun afternoon of board games, crafts, snacks, and Xbox 360 Kinect!
For those of you crafty, holiday gift-makers out there, we have several new books that have just come in – books on things like screenprinting, papercrafts, stitching and embroidering, that sort of thing.
And I’ll end this week’s column by telling you about three new non-fiction books that arrived this week:
• Money: Understand and Creating Alternatives to Legal Tender – a perfect read for those who think Grand Forks should have its own local currency.
• Blog Inc: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community – for those of you aspiring bloggers out there.
• 101 Things To Do With Apples – ‘tis the season to eat apples! There are recipes in here for everything from Butternut-Apple Soup to Slow Cooker Apple-Cider Pot Roast to Apple Baked Beans and lots more.
– Avi Silberstein is library director at the Grand Forks and District Public Library