1906: Opened before police magistrate Cochrane on May 31, the case of Customs Dept. against J.W. Jones was carried through for the second day.
Mr. Jones charged with under valuation of horses for duty, was reported as having claimed value for a team worth $300 at $150 while attempting to cross the border.
1911: C. Mills and C. Thompson killed what was believed to have been the largest bear ever shot in the province. The animal, eight feet, one inch from tip to tip, had a front paw 7-1/2 inches wide and 102 inches long.
1916: Four crews of men started work on the improvement of the North Fork roadway to Franklin Camp. The cost was estimated to run near the $10,000 mark.
1921: Mr. And Mrs. R.D. Duffield arrived from southern California, having recently purchased the J.H. Jackson ranch, south of the city.
1931: A Presbyterian church was torched by the same method used in the mine schools that were burned in the district recently, and suspicion was thrown on the Sons of Freedom.
1936: Knights of Pythias of Grand Forks announced that a wading pool would be built at the city park for the young children.
1941: Grand Forks and district were poised to go over the $63,000 Victory loan drive. Greenwood and district had set its quota at $25,000.
1946: Marie Holmberg was selected the Gyro Blossom Queen for 1946.
1951: R. Haggen urged the local board of trade to agitate for the use of the Southern highway as a trans-Canada route through B.C.
1956: Five actors and five trophies were the enviable record of the local drama group who earned fame with their presentation, The Good and The Bad, which won the South Okanagan Festival and was on the honour performance of the B.C. finals in Nanaimo. The successful players were Lou Wayte, Lawrence Fofonoff, John Tooker, Eve Lawrence and director Bill Zoellner.
1961: The school board received plans for a two-room school intended for Christina Lake.
1971: Funeral services were held for Herbert Howard Henderson, aged 85. In 1921 he opened up the City Grocery, a business he operated for 34 years until he retired in 1955.
1976: Mayor Sugimoto and Alds. Wolfram and Johnston returned from Trail recently with a first place trophy in a bocce tournament.
“They taught us how to play and we showed them how to win,” declared Wolfram.
1986: A new group of pensioners, Senior Citizens Association Branch 139, has formed in Grand Forks. Charter member Pete Plotnikoff said this new branch is not connected with any particular ethnic group.
1991: Ralph Eschbach, owner of the Grand Forks Deli, challenged anyone who thought they could beat him at chess, and collected pledges, with proceeds going to the Friends in Need Telethon.
1996: A permanent paint collection site is now open in Grand Forks at the bottle depot on 6351 Central Ave.
2001: Sandy Santori rode the Liberal tidal wave to Victoria last week, receiving nearly half of all votes cast in the West Kootenay-Boundary.
The newly-elected MLA garnered 9,718 votes; the NDP’s Ed Conroy pulled in 6,376.
2006: Thanks to heavy flow from the Kettle and Granby Rivers, areas of Grand Forks experienced flooding during the Victoria Day long weekend.
As of May 22, an evacuation order is in effect for 40 homes in the Johnson Flats area.
Crews from the city and regional district are patrolling affected areas around the clock.