1906: Ten hotels and two saloons were granted licences by the city council.
1911: The Granby Smelter, which was the largest in the British Empire, employed more than 400 men with a monthly payroll of $40,000.
1916: A large increase in the coyote population caused great concern to local sportsmen. Some 500 people took out licences to help stamp out the menace.
1921: A six-room house on three lots with fruit trees and a barn could be bought for $2,000.
1926: Excavation started on the southwest corner of Bridge and Second streets for a new garage for McPherson Garage Company.
1931: The Empress Theatre revealed plans for installing equipment for “talkies.”
1936: The Highland Lass and the Bell mines planned to amalgamate if it were approved by the shareholders.
1941: The greenhouses of the Grand Forks Cannery Association, south of the post office, grew 150,000 tomato plants that would supply 160 hectares of tomatoes for the cannery.
1946: The Grand Forks Hospital is set to close on March 1 unless $25,000 can be raised by the city to purchase it. It was operated by Dr. C.M. Kingston as a private concern for the last 40 years.
1951: Nelson curlers took two major competitions in the 43rd annual Grand Forks Curling Club Bonspiel.
1956: An article in the Vancouver Province, written by Jim Carney, told of Grand Forks being known only for rattlesnakes, heat and Doukhobors. It had aroused much unfavourable local commentary.
1961: Mrs. Pete Starchuk and Mrs. Alex Starchuk found the first buttercup of the year for the second consecutive year.
1966: At the annual meeting of the Grand Forks cancer unit, it was reported that a total of $1,131 had been raised during the recent campaign.
1971: City council agreed at its regular meeting to change from the present system of reading electrical metres monthly to a quarterly reading period.
1976: Brian Hoodikoff and Domenic Boscariol, students at Perley elementary school, teamed up to produce the first place entry in a National Heritage Day poster competition, sponsored by the Grand Forks Kinsmen Club.
1981: A city-owned site in west Grand Forks is among the alternative locations now being considered for the 25-unit senior citizens’ housing project.
1986: Two trustees, Bill Campbell and Joe Nevokshonoff, resigned from the board of the Grand Forks rural fire protection district over what one of the trustees termed a “stacked meeting.”
1991: A Clearbrook company has been awarded the contract to begin tearing up CP Rail track in the now abandoned Boundary Subdivision.
1996: Local skater, Diana Koftinoff, returned from being featured in Watford City’s Raise The Roof II ice show in North Dakota. The evening was directed and produced by Tanya Koftinoff, a professional figure skater and former Grand Forks resident who lives in North Dakota.
2001: The Christina Lake Stewardship Society’s reputation as a leader of environmental awareness seems to be growing. The society has been selected as the first stewardship group in the province to receive formal funding ($32,000) to allow for the set-up of a permanent office.
2006: A local boys team took the West Kootenay High School curling championship, which played out in Salmo. Members of the team are Skip Cody Bartlett, Third Curtis Hawkins, Second Mike Hiram, Lead Tyler Morris and Fifth Tyler Hunt.